Liz Randall's Cycling Blog - a life behind bars

"With ordinary talents and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable"



Sunday 15 June 2008

I'm a sucker for gadgets


Yup..I have to confess to be a gadget freak. Powertap, garmin and now helmet cam! Actually I've been researching this for some time but didn't fancy carrying a camcorder on my back especially since mine is about 4 yrs old and is not the mini size the new ones are.

Then Phil, who's now in Mongolia on yet another trail bike holiday (first India, then Bhutan now Mongolia) was fiddling with an Oregon cordless helmet cam that his club had lent him for the trip and which you can secure it to your helmet or handlebars.

Quick as a flash I was onto the computer to see how much they were and when I discovered they were available in Aus for $196 bought one over the internet (also on ebay at $202!). With an on board memory of 32mb, it takes a 2gig expansion card and depending on what res you vid at can go from 48 minutes to a whole ride's worth. The blurb says it can also take up to 400 still shots, although I can't recall seeing that in the instructions. You can watch your vid over the computer or the TV.

The only concern I have is that the lens is somewhat unprotected and may get scratched .. not so much when you're riding , more when its in a bag. Memo to self.

It arrived last week and currently is in the hands of/on the helmet of Ben who's giving it a whirl in the bush. He should be coming over later today to deliver my TT bike and disc wheel so hopefully(!) I will get it back and see the results.

Wow! 2 posts in 1 day..clearly got time on my hands and not out training. If I could only get rid of this headache, sore eyes, runny nose and general feeling of lethargy I'd be fine.

2 comments:

Rich Gift Of Lins said...

Buy a soft lens pouch for it from a camera store? Hope you get better soon.

Liz said...

am on my way! both to the camera shop and to better health.

Once again I timed it badly and was ill over the weekend..doh!