Liz Randall's Cycling Blog - a life behind bars

"With ordinary talents and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable"



Sunday 9 September 2007

Wild animal=adrenalin rush=more speed

Yesterday we had a our state Masters Road TT champs..it was a rather short race (11.4km) but those of us going in for the World Masters Track Champs next month complained only very softly. The course was w-a-a-a-y out in the country and in fact I can't recall even 1 car passing me while I was racing. However we can all recall the magpie ferociously guarding his territory close to the finish. I reckon I was disadvantaged 'cos he didn't attack me, so no adrenalin rush and no added speed. My coach had told me to go out an enjoy myself...haha the terms TT and enjoy are not compatible, don't belong in the same sentence. anyhow I decided to go out nekid..ie race on perceived exertion for a change, I wore my HRM but it was out of sight. Downloading it later I found I'd raced at my usual TT HR level


In countries who suffer through a REAL winter with snow, very low temperatures and short days, the arrival of the spring season is a very obvious event. Here in Melbourne the arrival of spring is somewhat more subtle..unless you're a cyclist. Because that's when the maggies start dive bombing you with a persistence that is truly admirable if it weren't so potentially dangerous.


Although maybe not quite as dangerous as this:

STOCKHOLM, Sweden, Aug. 29 Inga Akerstrom may have set an unofficial speed record as she was chased by a bear while out for a ride on her bicycle in northern Sweden.
"I was on an upward slope when I saw something at the side of the road and began to wonder what it was," she told the newspaper Dagbladet I Sundsvail.
The "something" turned out to be a belligerent bear that began romping toward her at top speed near the town of Boltjarn Monday. Akerstrom made a quick U-turn and began cycling downhill as fast as she could pedal.
When she zipped past her husband, who was walking their dog, the bear stopped and lumbered back into the woods.
Copyright 2007 by UPI

Methods of dealing with this seasonal magpie problem are varied but none more stupid looking than this and there is doubt it works anyway.


No comments: