Liz Randall's Cycling Blog - a life behind bars

"With ordinary talents and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable"



Sunday 22 June 2008

Hill reps in the wet

The forecast was for showers in the morning, clearing in the afternoon..but I guess I got too impatient and went out too early..well if I stayed in I'd have had to do more house work and it WAS was dry in Croydon when I set off but 5 mins into the ride that changed..



Previous experience led me to have the Garmin 305 in my pocket, safe from the rain in a plastic baggy complete with silica gel to ensure it stayed moisture free...and it worked! Here is a snapshot of the map showing the business end of my ride and the elevation graph of the whole ride.

The session involved riding out from home towards the Dandenongs doing a 5 min effort up Inverness Road then riding around via Montrose to Mt Dandenong Tourist Road (10min recovery) and doing the same there. Then I returned and did both hill repeats again. After all 4 efforts I rode home the same way I rode out.


So you'd have to wonder about the difference in the elevation detail from Croydon to Montrose and return .. a change in barometric pressure I guess.

You'd also have to wonder about why the ride down Inverness Road (the one to the north) wanders cross country..clearly my pocket and I were detached from each other...an "out of body" experience perhaps?!

Riding in the rain is not something I enjoy..not only 'cos its cold, wet and uncomfortable, but also because its dangerous due to traffic being less in control.

No comments: